In this episode, we discuss this fortnight’s interesting big data news that caught our eye and then go on to discuss the basics around authentication in Hadoop for what is the first in a series of episodes that we’ll be doing over the next few months on the broad topic of security.
00:00 Recent events
- The new science behind customer loyalty
- 5 great charts in 5 lines of R code
- Using big data to create value for customers, not just target them
- Linux turns 25 (25 August 1991 )
- Hadoop 2.7.3 a minor release in the 2.x.y release line, building upon the previous stable release 2.7.2
- Specification work related to the Hadoop Compatible Filesystem (HCFS) effort. Hadoop in the cloud/as a service getting a lot of attention lately
- Facebook open sources image-recognition AI with live video in mind
- NoSQL Databases: a Survey and Decision Guidance
- Committer criteria from Apache
- Maybe they should just have referred to our podcast! 🙂
40:20 Security in Hadoop – Authentication
- What is Authentication?
- Why is it important?
- When should I do it?
- Hadoop is insecure by default without strong Authentication
- Active Directory, MIT Kerberos and FreeIPA